Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Nomad Runner's Blog - The Pilot Post!

Hello, and welcome to my blog! This making of this blog has been a long time coming. My last day of work was last Friday (I'm a teacher), and my plans for the summer include running, improving my overall fitness, and working part-time at a cafe. I figured it was the perfect time to start blogging! Hopefully my layout will look better over time but hey, baby steps!

My plans for the blog include sharing my running and fitness progress, race recaps, product reviews, favorite recipes, and nutrition advice. I may even host some contests and giveaways!

My posts will become more interesting as the blog develops (I promise), but for now, enjoy these ten random facts about me!

About Nomad Runner:

  1. I grew up in the suburbs of New York City, and very recently moved to the state of Virginia to pursue my career as a teacher.
  2. If I weren't a teacher, I would be a graphic designer or pastry chef. Or a professional distance runner. But most likely a graphic designer or pastry chef.
  3. When I was in fifth grade, my teacher assigned my class to research different states and give presentations on them. We got to pick the state that we wanted to research, and I chose California. After hearing about the incredible geography and landmarks across the county, I decided that I wanted to visit every state in my lifetime.
  4. I'm currently living that dream today. Two years ago, I set a goal to run a half or full marathon in every state and Washington, DC. To date, I have run in 11 states and our nation's capital. Thirty-nine states to go!
  5. I first started running as a member of my high school's track and cross-country teams. I joined for the social aspect of the team, and to stay in shape.
  6. I LOVE ANIMALS. My pets include a tuxedo cat named Hudson (who still lives in New York. This breaks my heart every day.) and a guinea pig named Skeeter. My love for animals was the main reason I became a vegetarian (see Fact #8).
  7. Three years ago, my New Year's Resolution was to quit soda for good. That was the first (and last) resolution I ever stuck with. I used to be a Caffeine Free Diet Coke addict (I called it DCDC--Decaf Diet Coke), and now I don't even miss it!
  8. I've been a vegetarian for almost three years. The last time I had meat was Thanksgiving 2012. Turkey was always my favorite, so I enjoyed one last holiday bird before giving up meat completely. Just like soda, I don't even miss it! Now if only I could figure out how to give up peanut butter on a spoon, straight out of the jar...
  9. When I'm not at work or the gym, I'm in the kitchen! I'm always looking up and experimenting with new recipes. Or eating peanut butter off of a spoon. Out of the jar.
  10. I don't watch TV! Well, that's not 100% true. I DO watch the news, Jeopardy!, Once Upon A Time, and the Food Network, but other than that, my TV is mostly used to watch [animated] movies. TV bores me, and I can't sit still that long!
If you made it this far, thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed my first post! Feel free to leave a comment with any questions or comments, or just to say hi!

2 comments:

  1. I went soda free for 100 days last summer but alas, I still drink it. Not as much as I used but it's still a tough habit for me to kick completely
    I'm also a teacher--high school, and I ran cross country in high school :)
    I'm also wanting to complete a half or full in each state :) Great first post and looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One-hundred days is a great start! For me, going without it for so long made me hate the taste of it. I thought maybe I'd drink it "socially" but I can't even bring myself to do that!

      So much in common! I think running is a great supplemental activity to teaching. It really teaches you a lot about accountability and motivation! Thanks for reading!

      Delete